Tuesday 27 March 2012

Question 5

How did you attract/address your audience?


PowerPoint:

Evaluation Question 5


Transcript:
My magazine attracts its target audience, firstly though the use of a gender mutual colour scheme. I decided to use colours such as red, black, grey and white as these can reflect the genre of music my magazine promotes as well as being appealing colours to both males and females. Also I think that the colour scheme of my magazine looks very sophisticated and more mature than pop magazines that may include colours such as pink and yellow. I therefore believe that this will be the first selling point of my magazine as it will reflect the style of reader that I am trying to address.
          I have also made sure that there is a lot of variety within the contents of my magazine. I have therefore included bands and both males and female solo artists from different time periods within the magazine to make sure that there is something for every reader to enjoy. I have also included a competition and a free A4 poster inside the magazine to make the reader feel that they are getting more for their money and this feature may even draw them to buying the magazine on a regular basis. I have created a ‘lyric challenge’ on the front cover of my magazine where a line from a song of an artist from the indie/rock genre appears at the bottom. The reader can then guess what lyrics the song is from and they will find out in the next issue. This is another way I will attract regular readers.
          As the target audience for my magazine are fairly young, I have ensured that my magazine is in keeping with the zeitgeist of social media. I have done this buy creating a number of different ways for readers to access the contents of the magazine such as on Facebook or Twitter. I have also created a website for my magazine and this will allow regular readers to register as a member for the chance to be e-mailed free monthly downloads. They can also subscribe through the website, over the phone or by downloading the ‘RAW’ app on a Smartphone. When creating my mood board for my target audience I realised that the majority of people within my target audience would own a Smartphone such as a Blackberry or an iPhone; I therefore decided to make the app available on these phones so readers can still access the information they want even if they are not able to buy a paper copy of the magazine. I understand that some readers that are not as regular may not want to pay for the app so I intend to introduce a free app as well which will include only the features of each issue and on a much briefer scale.
          I have tried to give my magazine a certain style of writing which makes the readers feel comfortable whilst reading it. I have therefore chosen to employ a slightly chatty and friendly tone to my writing to create the feel of a personal relationship with the reader. Uses and Gratifications theory also claims that people read magazines not only to build personal relationships but to create a sense of identity and escapism. I have therefore tried to include contents that the readers can identify with, such as gig listings or album reviews. I want readers to feel that every page is about something different so if there are two similar artists I have made sure that they are plenty of pages away from each other to the contents doesn’t feel repetitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment