Friday 23 March 2012

Question 1

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

Video:



Transcript:

Overall, I believe that my magazine employs many of the conventions already found in other magazines of the same Indie/Rock genre such as ‘Q’ or ‘NME’. However I have also tried to adapt these to make my magazine slightly different.
The masthead appears at the top of my front cover, as normal and the main cover image overlaps part of the text to illustrate that my model is the main focus in the issue and that she is more important. I have also included a tag line, ‘Real Honest Music’ to reference the magazine’s contents as being trustworthy to potential readers. I chose to include not only the English price of the magazine, but an overseas price as well to give the magazine global appeal. The price appears both under the masthead and by the barcode to it is clearly visible to the reader. I have also made the magazine’s web address clearly visible on the cover to suggest that there is extra information on the site and to influence regular readers to check it out.
I believe that my front cover challenges typical conventions of Indie/Rock magazines as it upholds a fairly minimalistic look. The main image is surrounded by a few sell lines to suggest the contents of the magazine to the readers. However magazines of a similar genre such as ‘NME’ fill their front covers with lots more information and use brighter colours and different fonts when doing so. I wanted my magazine to take on a style that was more sophisticated than this but, at the same time was slightly busier than magazines such as ‘Q’. I believe that I have achieved this by taking the use of a range of different fonts from ‘NME’ to make each of my sell lines look unique and varied but incorporating ‘Q’s’ layout on to the page so the reader can see the features that are on offer inside and believe that they are getting more for their money when they turn to the contents page and find that there is a lot more than they expected and I believe that it is the simple fact that the reader can expect something different inside every issue that makes my magazine stand out from other magazines of the same genre.
            My contents page adopts many of the typical conventions used in similar magazines both through the layout I have chosen to use and the type of information that can be found in it. I decided to divide my contents page in to sections to make it easier for the readers to find what they are looking for. I have also ensured that all my articles have sub-headings to give a brief description of what the readers will find on them and I have also made sure that the page numbers are clear and easy to read so the articles are more accessible to the readers. I don’t feel that I have managed to challenge the conventional aspects of other contents pages much as the information I have included is more necessary than optional. I have therefore included subscription details for the magazine which are displayed clearly at the bottom of the page as well as different ways that readers can access the magazine’s contents from sites such as Facebook or Twitter, in keeping with the zeitgeist of social media. I have also included an image of the cover star, as well as images from other articles to highlight the variety of artists within the magazine.
            Similarly, my double page spreads tend to stick to the typical style that is expected in similar magazines. Both pages consist of a banner both at the top and the bottom to display the pages numbers, the name of the magazine and the type of article it is for example, exclusive. I have then decided to include a brief introduction to the article so the reader can get a sense of what they will come across when reading it or the type of questions that the artist has been asked. The title on the article is fairly large so it is clear who the article is actually about and the main image dominates most of the page to signify its importance. I have also chosen to include a variety of images with shot sizes varying across the two pages. This gives the reader a view of the artist from a range of different views. Also, I made sure to include a few different outfit changes within the images I used to make them look unique and different to one another. I have followed another convention by including pull quotes from the text on the pages. This way, even if the reader is just deciding to quickly skim through the article, they are able to pick up on some of the key points discussed as well as being able to become more familiar with the artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment