Wednesday 14 December 2011

Front Cover First Draft

Last week I completed the final draft for my front cover. This task took me longer than expected to complete because I decided to change my image. I originally chose to use a close up of my model on the front cover to build a relationship between them and the target audience. However in the end, I decided to go for a more exciting pose that made my front cover stands out. I believe that the image I have now chosen creates a statement and fit in with the genre of my magazine better.

On some of the sell lines on my front cover I have chosen to add effects such as a drop shadow to ensure that the text is easy to read and stands out on the gradient that I placed on the background. I have also tried to lay out each sell line in a different way so that they all look different. I used a combination of four different fonts throughout my sell lines to make them all look different and to give the cover some variety. I chose to add a gradient overlay to my background because I though that a plain white background looked to boring and having a bit of colour makes it look more busy.

I decided to include a button for one of my sell lines and used bevel and emboss and a drop shadow to created the illusion of a button from a plain circle shape. I also came up with the idea of including a 'song challenge' on my front cover where the reader will be given the lyric to a line of a song written by an artist appearing in the issue and they will have to find out what song it is from. I think that this will intrigue the readers and make them want to by the magazine but it will also give them a sense of achievement by doing so.  

Once I cut out the image, I chose to edit it by making it brighter as there was no need to remove any blemishes on my model. As there was a shadow on her right side, I removed this and this made the image look mush brighter. I decided that I wasn't going to make my front cover look too busy so I made my cover image large to it attracted most of the attention and it was clear that the model was the main feature inside the magazine.


Here is my first draft of my front cover:


No comments:

Post a Comment