Wednesday 14 December 2011

Double Page Spread First Draft

We had to created at least two double page spreads and I decided to use one and a half of these for placing my article and a single page for a full bleed image of my feature artist.

On my first double page spread, I included a title and decided to make 'arrived' bigger than the rest of the text to signify that she is a dominant artist in the music industry. I included a small introduction to the rest of the article to set the tone and explain that kind of contents that will be included in it. I also chose to include a banner, both at the top and the bottom of the page, where I was able to display the page numbers, the name of my magazine and the type of article it was, an exclusive.

I decided to include two images, both ranging in size and a pull quote from the actual article. I chose images that went well with the tone of the article and therefore the audience could relate to them. I simple cut the images out and came to the conclusion that I didn't need to edit them. I then went on to add the text and used a 'text wrapping' technique to make sure that there was little white space around the images and that the whole page was covered. I also had to be careful where I placed the images because of the fold in the middle of the page, therefore I decided to put one on each side. Again, I stuck to the colour scheme of my magazine and used the same fonts that I had used on my front cover.


Here is the first draft of my first double page spread: 




On my second double page spread, I decided to go for a different layout. I chose to include one side finishing off the text from the article and used the other for a full bleed image. However I still included the banners at the top and bottom of the page.

I created the Polaroid frames myself by taking a white square and a black one and adding a drop shadow to the white one to give it a 3D effect. I then added the images that I had cut out on to the black square so they appeared as a photo. I thought that it looked good it I had parts of the images coming out of the frame to make them look realistic and 3D and I believe that this has created a unique look to the images, instead of just putting them on the page. I included two pull quotes on this double page spread and used the contrasting colours of red and white over the full bleed image on the second half of the page, to make the text stand out.

I believe that I have included a sufficient amount ofimage sizes and different shot sizes to show that I have taken a variety of images, however I might choose to add some form of background to my full bleed image to avoid all the blank space that there is at the moment. I made my models hair brighter in the full bleed image because I wanted it to match with the colours in my magazine and as there was a shadow on her hair, I removed it and made the whole image brighter. I thought carefully about the page numbers that I was going to use as I wasn't sure where the feature article usually appeared in a magazine but after researching this, I found out that is usually placed in the middle of the magazine or just before, hence why I chose to start it on page 36.


Here is the first draft of my second double page spread:


No comments:

Post a Comment